The five IP offices (IP5) is the name given to a forum of the five largest intellectual property offices in the world that was set up to improve the efficiency of the examination process for patents worldwide.
The members of IP5 are:
- the European Patent Office (EPO)
- the Japan Patent Office (JPO)
- the Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO)
- the State Intellectual Property Office of the People’s Republic of China (SIPO)
- and the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
The IP5 Offices together handle about 80 per cent of the world’s patent applications, and 95% of all work carried out under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT).